Have You Taken the Challenge to Fight Childhood Obesity?
The Adventures of Lila & Rugby
Here are just some of the many people from around the world doing the challenge!
All of our programs are free to children!
It only costs 30 cents a day for a child to have a year of health and wellness
Chronic Diseases directly and indirectly caused by Obesity
Alzheimer’s & Vascular Dementia
Asthma & COPD
Chronic Back Pain
Congestive Heart Failure
Coronary Heart Disease
Diabetes Type 2
Gall Bladder Disease
Obesity accounts for 47% of the total cost of chronic diseases in America
Milken Institute Report 2018
Childhood obesity and the lack of physical activity have reached epidemic proportions in the United States. Here are some facts:
Only 30% of children are physically active every day.
Less than 50% of the time spent in sports practice, games, and physical education class involves moving enough to be considered physical activity.
Children and teens spend more than 7 hours per day on average using TVs, computers, phones, and other electronic devices for entertainment.
Only 9% of U.S. high school students get enough exercise to stay fit and healthy
- About 30% of children are either overweight or have obesity in the United States
- 60% of all adults have a chronic disease
- The adult obesity rate has increased from 13% in 1962 to 40% in 2018
- Overweight teens have a 70% chance of developing obesity as an adult
- Obesity accounts for 47% of the total cost of chronic diseases in America
Pilot program achievements from the 2018-2019 academic year in the Boston area include:
Welcome to Top Secret Spartans
[rev_slider alias=”spartan-home” /]
Who Are We?
Top Secret Spartans is part of the Top Secret Kids Corporation, a non profit organization, which was organized in 1995. Since that time the Top Secret Kids has been educating and entertaining children all around the world. We started with Top Secret Science and now have 250 affiliates in over 20 countries which have worked with over 40 million children. We offer numerous low cost and high value opportunities to support our mission of providing fantastic hands-on educational programs to children of all ages. Overall, we work with over 1,000 local children in the Boston area each week. In 2008 we added Top Secret Chefs and in 2017 we added Top Secret Spartans.
Fitness for Life
It’s our motto and should be yours too! Are you looking for something new and fun to get your kids moving? Do you want to provide educational opportunities where they can learn about their fitness and health? Then Top Secret Spartans is what you’re looking for!
Our youth fitness/wellness programs promote healthy choices and active lifestyles by combining PLAY, (think games, fitness activities, and fun movement) with EDUCATION. Each class will vary in games and activities to keep kids engaged and excited. The class is designed and led by certified instructors who are trained to customize programs, teach lessons, work with K-8 students, and encourage collaboration among all participants. Our program is designed to improve their strength endurance, cardiorespiratory fitness, athletic abilities and overall wellbeing. Our goal is to create POSITIVE & FUN learning experiences so kids walk away feeling their best – motivated and confident in their ability to move, build healthy habits, and take charge of their health.
We provide trained, professional coaches.All coaches have passed a background test and are certified fitness professionals. In addition, they go through our rigorous and ongoing training in curriculum development, education techniques, and crowd management strategies.
We collaborate. To engage participants in the program, we structure our programs with age-appropriate play and education. Our founders work closely with the coaches, gathering feedback and fine tuning curriculum to ensure that each session becomes progressively tailored to the participants
We provide a low instructor-to-student Ratio. To ensure individual safety and class quality, we provide one coach for every 10 students.
We are flexible. We collaborate with the organization to determine the best schedule to accommodate the maximum number of participants. We can organize indoor and outdoor onsite sessions to meet any space constraints an organizations may have.
We bring everything onsite. We provide all equipment and materials for the sessions. If the organization wishes to use its own equipment to supplement the activities, our instructors can coordinate with school officials to use their equipment.
We have fun!Top Secret Spartans believes having FUN is the key to success of the program. By combining education with play, we are committed to creating fun learning experiences that will increase intrinsic motivation and self-confidence. Kids will also love our tee shirts, certificates, Spartan Trading Cards and Medals.
General Class/Workshop Structure
- Warm Up. To engage the class, we devote the first portion of each session to interactive games that get kids up and moving. Sample warm ups include a fitness-focused approach. For new classes, we incorporate icebreakers to get kids interacting and learning about each other.
- Education. We incorporate 1-3 mini-lessons about various wellness topics, such as facts about the human body, exercise, nutrition, and fitness. Sample education lessons include the relationships between physiology and specific exercises. We categorize our lessons under 3 broad themes:
- FITNESS | Any topic that relates to the human body and exercise, including various types of exercise/training and how it impacts our health and fitness
- NUTRITION | Encompasses topics from basic nutrition to the relationship between nutrition and fitness.
- HEALTH| Includes wide-range of topics that relates to overall wellness such as energy balance, sleep, goal setting, and stress management.
- Play. Every mini-lesson is followed by a game that reinforces what they just learned. Depending on the length of the class, the number of games/activities will vary.
- Review and Reflection. We devote 5 minutes at the end of each class to review and reflect upon the day’s lessons and activities, helping students better understand and develop strategies to apply their knowledge and skills into their daily lives.
- Obstacle Course. What could be more fun than to test those new skills with a fun obstacle course. We look at strength, conditioning and balance and motivate each and every child to do their very best. We top it off with certificates and medals for our Spartans!