Have You Taken the Challenge to Fight Childhood Obesity?
Chronic Diseases directly and indirectly caused by Obesity
Alzheimer’s & Vascular Dementia
Asthma & COPD
Chronic Back Pain
Congestive Heart Failure
Coronary Heart Disease
Diabetes Type 2
Gall Bladder Disease
Milken Institute Report 2018
Childhood obesity and the lack of physical activity have reached epidemic proportions in the United States. Here are some facts:
Pilot program achievements from the 2018-2019 academic year in the Boston area include:
Welcome to Top Secret Spartans
Who Are We?
Top Secret Spartans is part of the Massachusetts Science Center Corporation, a non profit organization, which was organized in 1995. Since that time the MSSC has been educating and entertaining children all around the world. We started with Top Secret Science and now have 250 affiliates in over 20 countries which have worked with over 40 million children. We offer numerous low cost and high value opportunities to support our mission of providing fantastic hands-on educational programs to children of all ages. Overall, we work with over 1,000 local children in the Boston area each week. In 2008 we added Top Secret Chefs and in 2017 we added Top Secret Spartans.
Fitness for Life
It’s our motto and should be yours too! Are you looking for something new and fun to get your kids moving? Do you want to provide educational opportunities where they can learn about their fitness and health? Then Top Secret Spartans is what you’re looking for!
Our youth fitness/wellness programs promote healthy choices and active lifestyles by combining PLAY, (think games, fitness activities, and fun movement) with EDUCATION. Each class will vary in games and activities to keep kids engaged and excited. The class is designed and led by certified instructors who are trained to customize programs, teach lessons, work with K-8 students, and encourage collaboration among all participants. Our program is designed to improve their strength endurance, cardiorespiratory fitness, athletic abilities and overall wellbeing. Our goal is to create POSITIVE & FUN learning experiences so kids walk away feeling their best – motivated and confident in their ability to move, build healthy habits, and take charge of their health.
Only 20% of children are physically active each day
Do you know who invented the Jumping Jack or the Burpee?
General Class/Workshop Structure
- Warm Up. To engage the class, we devote the first portion of each session to interactive games that get kids up and moving. Sample warm ups include a fitness-focused approach. For new classes, we incorporate icebreakers to get kids interacting and learning about each other.
- Education. We incorporate 1-3 mini-lessons about various wellness topics, such as facts about the human body, exercise, nutrition, and fitness. Sample education lessons include the relationships between physiology and specific exercises. We categorize our lessons under 3 broad themes:
- FITNESS | Any topic that relates to the human body and exercise, including various types of exercise/training and how it impacts our health and fitness
- NUTRITION | Encompasses topics from basic nutrition to the relationship between nutrition and fitness.
- HEALTH| Includes wide-range of topics that relates to overall wellness such as energy balance, sleep, goal setting, and stress management.
- Play. Every mini-lesson is followed by a game that reinforces what they just learned. Depending on the length of the class, the number of games/activities will vary.
- Review and Reflection. We devote 5 minutes at the end of each class to review and reflect upon the day’s lessons and activities, helping students better understand and develop strategies to apply their knowledge and skills into their daily lives.
- Obstacle Course. What could be more fun than to test those new skills with a fun obstacle course. We look at strength, conditioning and balance and motivate each and every child to do their very best. We top it off with certificates and medals for our Spartans!